Typhoon Memorial France at Villers-Bocage

Click on Image to enlarge

Photo's taken by my Father on a trip to France

News Paper clip about Flt/lt Lou Parkers escape:-


Squadron Dance evening invitation


V.E Celebration Card (Front)


Infomation sent in via P Suffolk regarding F/Sgt Tidbury after being hit by flak.

A report written by Private Arthur West of the 13th Battalion Parachute Regiment. He parachuted into France on the night of the 6th June 1944 as part of the 6th Airborne Divison, but landed some 30 miles south of his rendezvous point. The following is part of his report he submitted regarding his escape and evasion.
"On 7th June 1944 at approx 1600 hours a Typhoon pilot F/Sgt Tidbury whose machine had been hit by flak, and who had bailed out was brought to us by 2 French civilians.
Private Gardener was detailed to stay behind at the barn (at Brocottes) and tend to F/Sgt Tidbury who had sustained burns to his face.'

The rest of the group went out on patrol and bumped into a German patrol on the main road between St Samson and Troan. 'After withdrawing the patrol returned to the barn but F/Sgt Tidbury and Private Gardner had left the barn.
On the 9th June 1944 in the afternoon we were rejoined by F/Sgt Tidbury and Private Gardner who told how they had heard we were having trouble with an enemy patrol. As a result they decided to leave the area.'

I received a letter from Flt/lt K Creamer about his time with the squadron prior to being taken POW .
Having been with the squadron for about ten days this was only my second operational trip, although the first was actually abortive. We attacked some rolling stock with rockets and sadly my No 1 (F/O Ross) failed to pull out of the dive.
For my part I set coarse for base but had only reached about 6,000 ft when my engine failed (Due to coolant loss). I tried to abandon the Typhoon but was unable to do so as the hood had jammed but fortunately I did make a successful forced landing after which I was promptly made a POW.
One of the most controversial mission that the Squadron was involved in was the attack on three passenger liners that were thought to be carrying SS troops to Norway
May 3, 1945, four days after Hitler's suicide, but four days before the unconditional surrender of Germany, the Cap Arcona, the Thielbek, and the passenger liner Deutschland (possibly converted to a hospital ship but not marked as such), were attacked as part of general attacks on shipping in the Baltic by RAF Typhoons of 83 Group of the 2nd Tactical Air Force, commanded by Sir Arthur Coningham.

The attacks were by:-
184 Squadron, based at RAF Hustedt, led by Flt/Lt Stevenson,
193 Squadron, based in Ahlhorn (Gro├čenkneten), led by Sqn/Ldr Taylor,
263 Squadron, based in RAF Ahlhorn, led by Sqn/Ldr Rumbold,
197 Squadron RAF,based in RAF Ahlhorn, led by Sqn/Ldr Harding,
198 Squadron based at Plantl├╝nne led by Group Captain Baldwin.

These Hawker Typhoon Mark 1B fighter-bombers used High Explosive 60 lb rockets, bombs, and 20 mm cannons. Pilots of the attacking force stated that they were unaware that the ships were laden with prisoners who had survived the camps.
The RAF commanders ordering the strike reportedly thought that the ships carried escaping SS officers, possibly fleeing to German-controlled Norway.